User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-11-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Canadians rejoice! Micra announced for Canada

Nissan’s global small car, the Micra, will be re-introduced to the Canadian market in 2014.

Christian Meunier, president of Nissan Canada, made the announcement at a media event held Jan. 9 in Montreal.

Tailored specifically for Canadians and not available in the United States, Nissan said the all-new Micra will feature an impressively low cost of ownership and will revolutionize what Canadian consumers expect from an entry-level car.

“After 21 years, the Nissan Micra is returning to Canada to change the automotive landscape,” said Christian Meunier. “Micra will provide Canadians with the unbeatable value, Japanese quality, European bold styling and fun driving experience that they deserve in a small car.”

More details on the Canadian version will be provided at the upcoming Montreal Auto Show on January 16.

The Micra is expected to compete against the Chevrolet Spark, the newly launched Mitsubishi Mirage and may also rub shoulders with the Mazda2 and Fiat 500, depending on how Nissan Canada positions the Micra price-wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-12-2014, 03:57 PM
a2b

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
from how i seen things in the past, american and canadian cars dont have many differences.
it would have made sense to make it available in both markets, not just canada

post #3 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b View Post
from how i seen things in the past, american and canadian cars dont have many differences.
it would have made sense to make it available in both markets, not just canada
not if theres no demand there. Canadians have a reputation for buying smaller cars than americans. Our fuel costs are higher in Canada and a greater percentage of our population live in major cities than the states...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think that Canadians are more comfortable with driving smaller cars. Americans like their cars big. I bet that Nissan has done the research it needs to do. I'd be curious to see some of the market data that shows the success of smaller vehicles in the US.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-14-2014, 10:01 AM

Guess more Canadians buy small cars compared to USA?

How are sales of other Micro cars in Canada? They have the Scion iQ up there right?
Yaris, Spark, Four Two.

Do they sell better?

post #6 of 15 Old 01-14-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abide View Post
Guess more Canadians buy small cars compared to USA?

How are sales of other Micro cars in Canada? They have the Scion iQ up there right?
Yaris, Spark, Four Two.

Do they sell better?
its hard to compare the sales figures fairly because the population is so much bigger in america than Canada. You can do a percentage of population comparison but that starts to get messy with the numbers.

Its because the majority of the Canadian population is clustered in Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver. Not to mention Edmonton, Ottawa, Halifax and Winnipeg. Much of Canada is rural, out there you wont see a single small car, its all pickups and SUVs like most of the states.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-15-2014, 11:54 AM
a2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by levitation View Post
its hard to compare the sales figures fairly because the population is so much bigger in america than Canada. You can do a percentage of population comparison but that starts to get messy with the numbers.

Its because the majority of the Canadian population is clustered in Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver. Not to mention Edmonton, Ottawa, Halifax and Winnipeg. Much of Canada is rural, out there you wont see a single small car, its all pickups and SUVs like most of the states.
Makes sense, at least it makes it even easier on Nissan to reach out to people that need it since their spread of dealers supplying these wont have to be as much as the U.S.

post #8 of 15 Old 02-14-2014, 02:29 PM

On behalf of all Canadians, we are pumped for this car. I've been saying for years now that we need the Micra back. I was even looking into importing one from the UK. They announced a starting price of $9,998 CDN. That's incredible, considering all other comparable sub-compact/micro cars start at $14k. I've been in the market for a small car, but can't justify spending $16k+ for a micro car with nothing more than power windows. Canada needs more smaller cars.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-14-2014, 02:45 PM

Also, like Europeans, Canadians pay more for gas. Though we don't pay as much, we pay roughly 40% more than the US. Prices, this week, for a litre of premium gas (91 octane) was $0.99 in the US and $1.42 in Canada. I'm lucky, though, because I live in a border city. I drive over to Michigan and fill up about once a month. Saves me $30 a tank.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-14-2014, 06:22 PM
a2b

Wow, driving over the board to save $30 is a good amount. I bet guys that live where you do that own big trucks do that and save far more.
At least with the micra you'll see even more savings on your side due to the better fuel economy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page